(April 2022) During the week before break, hundreds of students, staff, family, and partners came together for the 2022 KIPP Massachusetts STEM Fair! Together, our community showed how powerful science, technology, engineering, and math can be in the hands of our students.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- More than 120 students from all four of our schools presented engineering projects! (winners below)
- Students received feedback from industry experts from Delta Airlines, GE Aviation, UMass Lowell, PBLWorks, Boston Children’s Hospital, Accenture, and Mass STEM Hub.
- Representatives from Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology and UMass Lowell Francis College of Engineering showed students what STEM can look like after high school.
- Student demonstrations, including robotics from the KALC Principles of Engineering class, civil engineering projects from the KAL Girls’ Engineering Club, and BeeBot programming from some of our KALE students!
- Brickyard Collaborative, a Lynn-based maker space, demonstrated rapid prototyping techniques.
In addition to our students, families, and community partners, this event would not have been possible without the support of so many KIPP staff members:
- Our incredible science teachers who helped prepare students for the event! Maxwilliams Iwuala, Brook Abdu, Daisy West, Julia Kostro, Sina Zakeri, Joe Spaziano, Allen Wang, and Tyler Salmon
- Our STEM Fair committee who organized the event: Sam Cooke, Becca Hazlett, David Daniel, Jennifer Davis, Zach Trotsky, and Meg MacIlvain
- Laura Guimond organized and managed our 23 judges (!!!), ensuring they had time to give feedback to all of our students
- Our tech, facilities, and operations teams who managed logistics and ensured everything ran smoothly!
- The teacher and staff volunteers who welcomed guests, helped set up, and kept our students well-fed and supported!
Congratulations to our Winners!
- People’s Choice Award (voted by visitors): “The Asthmatic Attackers” Nayana Kibacha, Jaslin Taing, Leticia Mugaga, Yahir Rosario, Jackie Martinez Ramirez (KAL)
- 6th Grade App Creators Runner Up: “Boston Community Service” Messiah Sanyika-Greene, Zia Medrano, Tyrin Thomson (KAB)
- 6th Grade App Creators Winner: “Education” Diana Laracuente, Frankey Wright, Aaliyah Thomas-Edwards, Michael Kirkland (KAB)
- 8th Grade Community Health Winner: “Avoiding Vaping” Claudia Garcia De Leon, Jaeci Hernandez, Dairis Juarez Coronado (KAL)
- 8th Grade Therapeutic Toy Runner Up: “Tea Party in a Box” Anyeli Vasquez (KAL)
- 8th Grade Therapeutic Toy Winner: “Basketball Shootout” Jossue Giron Lopez (KAL)
- HS Reverse Engineering Third Place: “KALC-ulator” Sylvester Ogbemudia, Faneuil Gebru, Jaylen Guscott, Kolby Robinson (KALC)
- HS Reverse Engineering Second Place: “Menstrual Pad” Maria Felix, Angelee Ogando Almanzar, Jordyn Eugene, Andrea Garza (KALC)
- HS Reverse Engineering First Place: “Amazon Basics Mouse” Angel Guardado, Gabriel Pojoy, Anthony Kim-Castro, Daniel Marte (KALC)
- HS Senior Independent Project Judge’s Choice: “Mr. 100’s Dream Home” Marco Escobar (KALC)